One big winner and a lot of duds

Posted by Meghan in Junk In My Trunk, Sale Tales | 17 Comments

Both Jenny and I are on the one week count-down to Oly Manor and that is always a nice to thing to look forward to when it’s a holiday weekend … Labor Day weekend is usually pretty bad for sales.

We hit a sale that maybe you remember from the rainy carport last year.

Piles of stuff

This time was good, but not as amazing. Tons of vintage and oddball items.

Tables of stuff

Last time I picked up so many cool items that I was thinking I would really score something. We both picked up a few things — Jenny got a pretty cool 1979 book about David Bowie — but nothing super amazing.

One of the next sales unearthed the most amazing/gross/interesting/heinous jean jacket I have ever seen.

Awful jacket

I don’t think I need to mention this, but cow arms? Don’t most women want to appear thinner? Cow print doesn’t give the illusion of thin, no?

AND (I know that really is enough, right?) the guy was putting up his sale signs with an electric screwdriver. Wouldn’t that harm your trees that you probably put a ton of time into growing?!?

Giant Yard Sale Sign

The fact that most of the sales we hit were crappy was really okay, since we didn’t expect very much. But we did hit one really big winner.

Yard/estate sale stuff

Some woman who had been an art school teacher had died a few years ago and the family had just pulled all of her stuff outside in yard sale fashion. She had some really crazy taste, and had loved hands. There were tons and tons of hand items.

Boxes of clothes

I picked up so many great things. Three pairs of ’70s Frye boots, tons of vintage clothing. To be honest, I have no idea what Jenny purchased. I just was so in the yard sale zone. I ended up with three tall kitchen bags filled for $30.

We ended up hitting a different area, taking time to sit down and have a snack (something that we rarely do) and hitting a bunch of overall bad sales. Like the sale with the life size Lord Of The Rings stand up.

Life-sized Legolas

And one of the more oddball items we have seen at a sale: the portable blacklite for all those on the go! A travel black light? It even looks like it’s for your auto. And they had two of them. WTF?

Auto Blacklite

One of the last sales we hit was a supposed 10-family sale that turned out to be four houses, including an old woman with kitty ears on (I shit you not). The next house had a guy that serenaded us with his clarinet. It was sort of cool and freaky at the same time.

If we hadn’t found that one great sale early on it would have been a pretty fruitless day, but we managed to fill up the trunk.

Junk In My Trunk 8-30-08

By the way, I stopped at one sale on Monday. While I was there, one of my sale nemesises came and said what he always says: “Got any jewelry?” The seller said she had some carved Bakelite bracelets earlier, but they were already gone. My heart sank a little at missing out on those, but it was awesome to see the pained expression on his face!

17 Responses to One big winner and a lot of duds

1. Jupiter says:

Everytime I come here, I see something in the pictures I want. I wish this was a real-time blog. I’d just say,”Hey,can you gran that for me…Thanks..” 😛

In this case, I really honest and truly would like a life-size Legolas. I don’t care if that makes me look like a dork.

2. Jupiter says:

grab*,I meant.Not gran.Silly tpyos.

3. Gimme dat hand and you won't get hurt says:

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want that big hand that’s on the grass in the sixth photo.

Did you buy it? Do you want to sell it?

No, sadly we didn’t buy any of the hand items… sorry…

5. Gimme dat hand and you won't get hurt says:

“My heart sank a little at missing out on those, but it was awesome to see the pained expression on his face!”

Ha ha ha, you are evil and I can relate. I sell media on Amazon and today I hit the motherload at my closest thrift. I found some amazing CD’s. Most were still sealed. I got there right when they put them on the floor. They must have a new pricer because they usually charge three bucks a pop but today everything was marked a buck PLUS it was half off day. I spent $30 for about $800 worth of stuff and just as I had finished going through the pile and filling my basket, the biggest a@@hole CD buyer I have ever met in my life came in to shop. I have seen him practically knock over old ladies to get to stuff before. He’s an arrogant obnoxious prick and a half.

I had pretty much cleaned them out but I did leave him some Hanson CDs. He saw my basket full and he actually asked me if he could look through it to see what I was buying. I said “Umm, hell no.” Then he watched me check out and I thought he was going to poop his pants especially because the cashier read the titles aloud as she rang them up.

Cha ching! It was a good day.

If it is wrong to take delight in his pain I do not care. He earned it.

I still want that hand!

6. Wow, you got some amazing shoes! I want that red pair! And the hand, oh the hand!!!

7. Imp says:

Hey, that blacklite would come in handy should you stumble onto a stack of photos you’re not quite sure are really vintage.

Or a surprise rave?

8. LynnW says:

By the looks of your car’s trunk, you found some great stuff!

The “you just missed the bakelite jewelry” comment must have made your day!

9. Wanda says:

Just the picture of that one good sale made my heart beat faster. A couple of my customers, sisters, collect hands. Their maiden name was Hand. I kinda like them myself, especially for displaying jewelry. That one on the ground was pretty cool.

Isn’t it funny how one sale can save the whole day? Isn’t it sad that it often comes down to hoping there is one sale to save the day?

Wanda

Hey “Gimme Dat Hand,” great story about the CD-buying jerk. I’m sure that was a very satisfying moment. Sorry I didn’t buy the hand or it would be yours! (Or Legolas for you, Jupiter, not that I know how we would have even got that into the car … and/or shipped it … and/or what you would be doing with it …)

11. Kim Cooper says:

Those black lights really ARE for cars, tricked out Japanese cars to be exact. Kids down in LA mount them under their bumpers to cast a weird glow at night. It’s all very Blade Runner, and kinda unnerving.

It all sounds very LA. I was thinking it would be for taking into lousy hotel rooms for something… (o.k. that was sort of gross)

13. kz says:

hi guys, can you tell us the brand on those fabulous aqua shoes with the double straps in the top right of the trunk shot?

14. Pingback: Yard Sale Bloodbath » Vintage clothing freakout

They are Fluevogs. (And they are on their way to a friend of mine with size 11 feet who is super stoked!)

16. Pingback: Yard Sale Bloodbath » The rest of the day

17. Ester Jean says:

those red shoes are the coolest ever!!