Scanners can suck it

Posted by Meghan in Junk In My Trunk, Sale Tales | 17 Comments

With Jenny out of town, I asked Leslie if she wanted to drive over to Ballard to hit some yard sales. I had printed out some sales and one of them was listed as having hundreds of patterns, antiques, vintage fabric, and on and on. So, I had put a star on that one to hit first. At first I thought we had the wrong address, then we drove by one of the saddest apartment sales and all I could think was “it can’t be” — we didn’t even get out of the car or even slow down!

We headed to a church rummage sale. This was also a bust.

Bad church sale

As I was looking over some of the books I saw a woman with her bar code scanner. She was like a zombie, scanning a pile of CDs. I hate people like this. Leslie commented that booksellers have spent years learning about books and a few people scanning crap isn’t going to change that.

At the very next sale we saw more people with scanners. They didn’t even have any good books. I did sneak this photo of a scary clown figurine.

Tragic clown

As I was paying I made a comment about the two guys scanning her books. She gave me a baffled look and said “Why are they scanning my books?” I explained that they were scanning her books to see if they are worth any money, so they can resell them. Let’s hope she charged them double!

In the car I asked Leslie, “Isn’t Scanners a movie where people’s heads explode?” I am making it my personal goal to rid the planet of “The Scanners.” At my next yard sale, all books and CDs will have the bar codes blackened out. Really, you will not get rich by being a fucking moron.

We then hit a few more unremarkable sales and then one of the most bizarre sales I have even been to. It took both of us about ten minutes to figure out that most everything in the sale was free.

Free stuff at a yard sale

Yet more free stuff at a yard sale

More free stuff at a yard sale

Ratty-ass chair at the "free stuff" yard sale

There was an old Mexican woman standing by like 8 boxes of stuff she and another woman had taken from the sale — we saw them packing up their car an hour later and I still wasn’t sure how they would be getting it all home.

The first thing I found was a Quisp Quaker Oats Spaceman Doll. They had tons of stuff and I think we both had that dreaded feeling of “why didn’t we hit this sale at the start of the day!” We both grabbed tons of stuff that was either free or dirt cheap. I managed to get one box of Princess House glassware, some dishes, a boxed Intellivision II 80’s gaming system, some crazy vintage Christmas items, old books … I took two loads to the car and I think Leslie did the same. Grand total? Me – $5.00. Leslie – $1.00.

I think we were both a little shocked that we had spent an hour at the sale. So, we headed to an estate sale that had been going since 10:00. The second we walked into the house you could tell it had seen about 45 years of smoking. The house reeked — Leslie almost went back to the car, but she was a trooper and trudged on. We hit the “Christmas bedroom” — does every single estate sale have one of these? You know what I’m talking about, right? The room filled with card tables full of some old lady’s Christmas crap.

Then from the window, Leslie spied an old shed filled with lawn ornaments. Her arm shot out into a pointer finger. “LOOK!”

No hunting

Beagles in tears

We headed outside and saw Fred and Barb (from the sale I went to last week), who had just purchased two large 1950s bullet planters. RATS! We both were glad that at least it was someone that we knew who had just bought them. I had a moment and purchased a concrete chicken.

We wrapped it up after this. Here is the trunk photo, and we had the back seat filled too. A great end-of-summer sale day!

Junk In My Trunk 8/25/07

17 Responses to Scanners can suck it

1. Jenny D says:

I hate the scanner people too! I just had my first encounter with one at a thrift store. He was scanning along, taking all the decent books. I was curious, since I had never seen this before and said something like, “Thats a nice tool”. He just smiled, said “thanks” and kept scanning. Meanwhile, the patrons of the store had to try to inch in around his scanning ass to grab what they could from the shelves. I just walked away. What a dick. What a lazy dick.

2. o.Sano says:

scanners…perfect name for these nobs. i see the same two book scanners at the local goodwill(s) and ask them the same question everytime (which in turn makes me a jerk) “how do you find the time to read so many books”? i mean, what happens if they run across a first edition of moby dick, on the road, to kill a mockingbird, etc. w/o a barcode? so, meghan please do black line all of your books next sale and make a sign, book scanners welcome!!

3. Carrie says:

For real? People buy scanners so they can make a living selling books? I have never heard of this – where in the hell would you get one of those nerdy things?

Also, way to stink up the book department. As if it’s not hard enough pushing my way past people reading “Chicken Soup for the Soul” out loud to their fellow shoppers…

4. Miss Pinny says:

Gah! I love all those ceramic figures. Especially the scary clown.

5. Selena says:

Not to sound like a commercial but I used to hate scanners too until I got one. I used to feel it was so unfair when I was searching through the books and they would come along and buy up everything that Amazon told them was valuable. I felt like it was cheating. But then I learned about them and my income went from about $400 a month selling books on eBay and working my tail off doing auctions to $3000.00 with less computer time. It pushed our income into a comfortable level. That was enough to convince me that I might just not judge people with scanners as harshly as I did before. I scan with manners though. I’m not pushy, I’m considerate and I try not to make it obvious that I am scanning. There are some mean spirited scanner booksellers out there who we refer to as Scan-Monsters. They hoard, they are pushy and are usually kind of mean. I think there is a big difference between someone who loves books and sells them to support their family and the rude, inconsiderate person who couldn’t care less what they are selling as long as they get money……I love all the photos of your trunk and the sales. Makes me wish it was Friday all over again. And although I’m pretty worn out from summer sales, I’m sad the season is coming to a close.

6. Pingback: Yard Sale Bloodbath » Is that laser going to hurt my eyes?

7. DaveX says:

For additional fun, you could always make FAKE barcodes… have ’em convinced every Penguin edition of “Tale of Two Cities” is a freakin’ gold mine!

8. Pingback: Yard Sale Bloodbath » Sunny Friday sales

9. scanerhater says:

What the hell? I saw a couple of these jerks at my yard sales. Took me awhile to catch on. So you mean to tell me that book about Sea Monsters I found in the trash was worth something? What jack asses! Today’s technology is creating a band of zombies. One of these idiots actually came into my gate with his eyes glazed over and kept asking me the same question: “Got and cd’s, dvd’s, video games?”. Please tell me that an app exists to zap these fools off the face of the Earth (or at least my next yard sale!).

This year I have seen them less and less. Maybe that is a good sign. We just make fun of them… 🙂

11. The next scanner that I catch at one of my yard sales will not be a happy hipster camper. First I will snap his I-Phone in half, then I will proceed to stomp on his trendy waferer sun glasses. Get out of here you assholes! Stop trying to find a way to suppliment your income because your non-for-profit jobs pay you peanuts!….or did your trust fund dry up? Or maybe those caramel mocha-frap espresso lattes are getting to pricey for you. Face it. You can’t afford New York City so you develop trendy underground subcultures like these to make a buck-and to appear cool and preserve your dignity so you dont look like a bunch of groveling assholes. But you have no dignity (or soul) because you are hipsters. Get back to shoveling cow shit in the Mid-West…and GET THE FUCK OUT OF NYC!

12. Pingback: Yard Sale Bloodbath » Santa, Cindy, and Smoking Squirrel

13. A Scanner says:

Booo fucking hoo. I’ve made thousands of dollars and saved thousands more with my scanner. If you don’t like it, get the fuck out of my way. Tell me something at a sale about my scanner and you’ll be eating dirt.

14. A Scanner says:

“The next scanner that I catch at one of my yard sales will not be a happy hipster camper. First I will snap his I-Phone in half, then I will proceed to stomp on his trendy waferer sun glasses. Get out of here you assholes! Stop trying to find a way to suppliment your income because your non-for-profit jobs pay you peanuts!….or did your trust fund dry up? Or maybe those caramel mocha-frap espresso lattes are getting to pricey for you. Face it. You can’t afford New York City so you develop trendy underground subcultures like these to make a buck-and to appear cool and preserve your dignity so you dont look like a bunch of groveling assholes. But you have no dignity (or soul) because you are hipsters. Get back to shoveling cow shit in the Mid-West…and GET THE FUCK OUT OF NYC!”

YEAH RIGHT. And get your ass kicked in the process.

I hate to break it to you, but I have full on made fun of and asked scanners to leave my sale and not a single one has the balls to tell me to get the fuck out of my way or threatened me. In fact most feel a certain shame, but I am pretty glad that I pissed you off enough to post. twice. dumbass!

16. A Scanner says:

Maybe because coastal residents don’t have any balls to begin with. I’ve seen your yard sale ads. Nothing of value there.

17. John says:

Who cares if someone scans. Money is money. Charge the price you want. If someone does or doesnt buy it who cares. If someone want s to scan and then pay the money your asking does it really matter? Almost everyone buys at garagesales and then sells what they get. Dont have a garagesale if you dont want to sell to certain people. Sounds like discrimination to me. Oh no. That guy is scanning !! Omg!! Get real people this is not the 1950’s anymore.