Dude, where’s my canoe?

Posted by Meghan in Sale Tales | 7 Comments

On Friday I planned to work super early, so I could first hit what was listed as a packed Estate Sale, but turned out to be a massive hoarder sale.

Sometime you can piece together what happened in a house by what they owned or maybe someone will have some idea about the family. Like at some point in the 40s and 50s they owned a funeral home back East.

At this house they didn’t toss out much in the last 40 years. In fact I found boxes of kids clothing from 1976 — cords and striped shirts galore.

The basement was boxes of stuff and tools.

Boxes of a hoarder

Loads of clothing from the last 40 years.

Clothes piles

Saucers and plates piled all over the kitchen.

Plates of a hoarder

A bin of keys? How and why would you have like 60 sets of keys?

Keys of a hoarder

Or these boxed dress shirts?

Your Personal Dress Shirt

Sadly, there was so much stuff that much of it had to be pulled outside.

Backyard junk

Bags n' crap

The biggest bummer was that the man had been living in the kitchen and dining room, because there was so much stuff.

I did pick up a few items that could be tossed into a washing machine. But sales like this make me feel like I need to rid myself of everything I own.

7 Responses to Dude, where’s my canoe?

1. Pat says:

I’m a “back East” yard sale junkie who just recently found you. I’ve been to a few of these. You DO watch Hoarders, no? Makes you wanna get up and clean and throw out, even at 2am!

2. Linda H. says:

Yeah, there’s a definite line between “Woo-Hoo! There’s a ton of crap to paw through and find treasure!” and “Dude, have you ever seen a dumpster?” Scenes like that kind of make me sad. There can be no peace surrounded by that much stuff.

3. Pinky says:

Yeah, I can totally relate, lol, about that wanting to throw out everything you own thing. Right now I am in the middle of having all my air ducts replaced. I currently have two guys in my attic, digging and scraping away…my attic is Barbie-sized (actually, the attic in her dream house is BIGGER than mine), so there’s not a lot of room for “stuff”.) Have no basement. Have to keep cleaning up and out. When I see something like this, I am always amazed that people can live with so much stuff. I’ve been having work done on my house for the past few years which has necessitated me cleaning out every nook and cranny in order to get the work done. For this duct replacement, I had to clean out the guest room closet where it was to host to many books of mine from the 90s, which our library got, just in time for the library book sale, too. I’m keeping only what I really love—what has value to me, be it emotional or monetary, lol.

Being in a place like this would make me want to come home and just scrub out my pores, too. Ick!

4. shellie says:

sad! i actually can’t take my eyes off the hoarder shows on bravo. but i’ve kind of learned to do what we call a “low level drive by” when passing certain sales. this one we would keep on driving.

That is not fun or funny. That’s just sad. Ew, I feel the need to work on my kitchen RIGHT NOW.

6. Poppy K says:

Scenes like this make me itchy.

7. shadow says:

Yeah- I went from collector, to family archive, to mommy, to surviving daughter to hoarder over a 10 year period, and am now desperately trying to dig out from under.
    anytime there is a box of *misc* that isn’t paper (pictures and stuff), I tend to now just say “Hey- Take a fast look and if it’s not vital, family, or expensive, THROW IT OUT”.
    I have the ‘never ending garage sale staging area’ in my side yard under a summer tent. If it’s *sellable* it goes out there, and then we have a sale when we fill it up. What doesn’t sell either goes to the garbage, the goodwill, or if it’s really good stuff (antiques, 50’s collectables, interesting stuff needing a special buyer) then it stays for the next sale.
    If it gets wet in the rains and rots- oh well! Out it goes.
    I LOVE reading your garage sale finds. I love going to sales (that’s how I got INTO this mess– that and 3 female relations dying and leaving me EVERYTHING they owned), so I have to taper off slowly so as to not go into withdrawls.
    Seeing those dishes? I secretly think “DAMN! I KNOW there’s some VALUABLE GMcB at the bottom of that somewhere!”.
    That’s when I need to stop and take a sedative and go watch “hoarders” on TV.

~sigh~