Cool people on the scene

Posted by Meghan in Book Report | 10 Comments

I found this while rummaging through the kitchen at the fancy estate sale we hit the last time we went out. There was a nice recipe for poached salmon on the other side, but I snagged it for the photos! This is from the May 1985 issue of Pacific Northwest Magazine.

“I’ve seen Repo Man three times.”
"I've seen Repo Man three times."

“I broke my arm on our skateboarding ramp.”
"I broke my arm on our skateboarding ramp."

“I represent Lake Hills on the State Soccer Team.”
"I represent Lake Hills on the State Soccer Team."

“I used to be one of the top five cool people on the scene.”
"I used to be one of the top five cool people on the scene."

I’m not sure what the point of this spread was, but I really wonder where all these people are now.

Update: Adrienne Salinger left us a comment saying: “Those photographs from Pacific Northwest magazine were mine – from my project with teenagers in the mid-80s. In the early 90’s I began to photograph teenagers again – in New York state, where I was living. This time I did long video interviews and eventually it was published as my first book In My Room: Teenagers in Their Bedrooms.” Super cool to know more about these!

10 Responses to Cool people on the scene

1. Patrick M says:

These pictures are incredible! except maybe that soccer kid. i love seeing how people represent themselves through their bedrooms. excellent one-of-a-kind find!

2. Seattle Dave says:

Should I be ashamed that I knew in an instant that the blue poster on the wall of Repo Man Girl’s room was for long-forgotten band Big Country?

If you didn’t recognize that the other one (with the glare) is also Big Country, then I think there is hope for you yet. (I was waaaaay too into that band in the ’80s …)

4. sue says:

Wherever they are, they’re still mumbling the same phrase as their claim to fame.

5. leah says:

hilarious! love it. the last one if my favorite.

6. Kathy says:

Those are very interesting pics. I’m pretty sure that skateboard kid has his sneakers on the wrong feet.
    Kathy

7. sasha says:

Hey that last pic is Slam! My BF in 9th grade lived across the street from him in Mt Baker, I’ve been in that room.

8. Bernie says:

These immediately reminded me of a book I saw years ago but couldn’t remember the name of. I think the only reason that anyone remembers it besides me is because (a very young and nerdy looking version of) the singer of Earth Crisis is in it…if anyone here knows/cares who that is…

It’s called “In My Room: Teenagers in Their Bedrooms” and was shot by Adrienne Salinger

9. Adrienne Salinger says:

Hi- Those photographs from Pacific Northwest magazine were mine – from my project with teenagers in the mid-80s. In the early 90’s I began to photograph teenagers again – in New York state, where I was living. This time I did long video interviews and eventually it was published as my first book “In My Room: Teenagers in Their Bedrooms.”

Adrienne Salinger

WOW. That is amazing… If you can send us a link, we would have happy to link to you…
    🙂