Introducing Meghan

Posted by Meghan in Grab Bag | 8 Comments

I love a good yard sale and from an entertainment value standpoint, I love a bad yard sale. I have been going to yard sales for 30+ years. My formative years were spent being dragged screaming on Saturday morning to either a yard sale or the dreaded fabric store by my mother. I spent years going to thrift stores, but I now favor garage sales – with the added estate or church jumble sale tossed in. I love getting to go into people’s homes, unless they have recently died – that is always creepy, but can yield some great finds. Plus, I’m nosy and getting inside a person’s home for a sale is one of the few socially acceptable reasons to look around.

A few things to know about me; I don’t haggle (very often), I carry cash, I am not rude, and I seem to have an uncanny knack for finding really good shit. It’s said that the early bird gets the worm, but coming to someone’s sale an hour early makes you a complete jackass.

My dream is to take a vacation to The World’s Longest Yard Sale: The 127 Corridor Sale. 450 miles of yard sales covering a few states!

I am already thinking about the first of many sales this season, with what I would call the “spring opener” or what our neighborhood calls the Annual Phinney Neighborhood Sale. The Phinney sale usually has around 150 sales each year and it usually draws 2,000 shoppers. Tightly packed streets of double parked cars, women running down the street at some feeble attempt to “get the good stuff” – as if we would be looking for the same items! It’s almost too aggressive and has the added sting of more families moving into the area (aka less old crap and more new baby crap) but I seem to get something good (should I jinx myself and say great) enough to bring me back each year.

8 Responses to Introducing Meghan

1. Joe says:

Hi… Enjoying your blog… posted it to fellow Fiesta collectors on medimgreen.proboards61.com

Feel like I’ve been everywhere you’ve been and seen everything you’ve seen…

Have a great Thanksgiving.

-Joe

2. amy clifton says:

I just found your blog after I googled “crappy yard sale”. I love you! Your stories could be mine, I swear! I moved down to hendersonville, nc and this area is mainly retired people from florida. By that you should get the picture of what junk is at the many thrift stores around here. (if not, think of the show “Golden Girls” and you got it) My biggest peeve is overpriced & dirty crap! Why oh why do people do this?? I just want to say something to them, but what? The upside is Asheville is minutes away and there is pockets of really cool things that can be found ex: exotic pier 1 import stuff and nice old furniture. Gone are the days when I lived in Michigan during the 1990’s and could find really cool 50’s and 40’s furniture and LAMPS! for next to nothing! I have a fetish for cool lamps to the point that I have to hide them from my husband. So anyway keep up your blog, it’s great. MY fav was your dream abou the white bell bottoms! I laughed my ass off. One question? do you have a big house? Where do you keep all of those books and knick knacks? take care amy

Hi Amy! Thanks for the nice words. I love knowing that there is someone out there googling “crappy yard sale.” Nice to hear about sales in your area, too!

Neither of us have particularly enormous homes (though we both have basements and speaking at least for myself, there is way too much crap in mine). For a partial answer to your question, may I direct you to our post on the Yard Sale Catch & Release Program.

Glad you’re enjoying the blog!

4. Jo Jo Stiletto says:

I am so so joining you one day! I will share with you “Jo Jo’s Ten Unbreakable Garage Sale Rules” one day.

5. DeAnn says:

Hi Meghan,
    I just discovered your garage sale blog, and I HAD to write and tell you that I am one of the people responsible for the existence of the Phinney Neighborhood Garage Sale!
    Seriously!
    Ann Bowden and I both worked at the PNA in the mid-90s, and the powers that be were always looking for new fundraisers for the PNA, and Ann and I, being veteran garage salers thought that if we sold tables to all the apartment-dwellers or those without a decent garage in the area, we’d make a mint for the PNA and have a great time in the process!
    The first PNA Garage Sale Day was born either in 1993 or 1994, I can’t remember which year, I just remember that we sold out of tables pretty fast, and that the traffic from people trying to park in the area was AWFUL and got us in trouble with the local constabulary.
    My husband and I drove across the US from Florida to Seattle in 1991, and we landed at the GreenTree Apartments on 71st and Greenwood (which turns into Phinney over by the Red Mill Burger, which used to be a great little shop before it was a burger joint) and ended up managing the place for several years. I could walk to work at the PNA and walk over to Kens Market for some of their mac and cheese and then walk to the Couth Buzzard Used Bookstore and work at shelving books long enough to walk back out with a stack of free novels. Ah, those were the days.
    Anyway, I love the name of your blog, and like you, I’ve been going to garage sales for 40-some years, so I enjoy the social aspect of it, too, almost more than getting a good ‘find’.
    Now I live out in Maple Valley, and I gotta tell you, South King County garage sales aren’t nearly as much fun as the ones on Phinney (especially on Palatine) Ridge.
    Take care, and thanks for the laugh!
    DeAnn

6. Amy H. says:

Meghan and Jen,
    Just wanted to know that I, too, love your blog. I am a collector of random vintage crap, and I so enjoy the stories of your various expeditions. When I read Meghan’s dream to attend the 127 Longest Yard Sale, I just had to respond. When I lived in Crescent Springs, KY (Cincinnati suburb) about 7 years ago, my friend Helen and I decided to spend a few days on the road…. following the 127 Sale. By the end of the first day we had only made it 10 miles! The traffic and parking were terrible, but oh what fun it was hopping out of the car every few 100 yards to see what goodies we could find! Even though we had planned this as a road trip, we actually just drove home that first night since we were still practically in town. Day 2 we started where we had left off the day before and actually stayed the night in a hotel. We had to return home after Day 4. We never even made it out of Kentucky! Many of the stops we made were a bust, high prices or just too much worthless tackiness (even for my low standards) but we had an awesome time! We met a lot of nice (and some very odd) people in the little towns we passed through, and shared a lot of laughs. It was definitely worth the time and traffic.
    Here’s hoping you get your dream!

Thanks for validating my hobby/addiction!

Amy

Amy,
    Thanks for sharing. I don’t know if we will ever make it there, but we have spoken about it.
    For now the NW and once in awhile travels will have to do.
    THANKS!