Fun fur nightmare

Posted by Meghan in Sale Tales | 17 Comments

We pretty much covered our day at the West Seattle garage sales, except for the very last sale we hit. This was an estate sale, not part of the organized effort, and we just happened to spot their signs. And man, it was a doozy!

Pulling up, we could see one side of the house that looked like it was sort of falling in. The photo sort of gives you an idea of what was going on … it was even scarier in person.

Crumbling house

Most of the sale was outside and the stuff was really pretty crusty. They had a bunch of odd metaphysical books, and a ton of unused Shaklee beauty products going back a few decades.

With his pyramid tent

Chock full of Shaklee

Makeup palette of yesteryear

I overheard a woman say that they planned on doing an auction of the house, and she was going to take a guy on a tour to see the place. I very sweetly asked if Jenny and I could come along. I mean, when are you going to get to walk into a crumbling house that is set right on the water? Okay, in our case maybe more often than most … but still. This place was C-R-U-S-T-Y.

The very first thing we saw was the front entry way light that looked like mold was about to make it drop off the ceiling. Scary. Then we spotted the pool … and the view. It was one of the better views I have seen in Seattle.

Swampy pool with a view

We were lagging a little behind, and when we walked back into the house we found this organ and crazy wallpaper. Amazing. We were trying to stay on the tour, but it was hard not to stop and gawk a little.

Room with a (fake) view

Then I was super stoked to see this huge signed photo of Korla Pandit.

Signed photo of Korla Pandit

When I asked if it was for sale, she said $50. Hmm… Do I really need a 1 1/2′ x 2′ photo of Korla playing organ in my house?!?! The woman explained that her mom had owned the house and had played with him. They had known each other for 30 years and he had played the very organ we’d just walked past. (It also had his picture on it, although that one wasn’t for sale.)

Korla Pandit played this organ

When Jenny asked if she could take a picture, the woman gave her a really strange look — we thought she was going to say no, but she was just baffled that we’d want to. Then she took us upstairs. There wasn’t much left up there, but we did spot this 1958 Seattle Seafair art.

Seattle Seafair 1958

In the master bedroom, a huge chunk of the ceiling had fallen in. Really huge, like several feet across. The woman explained that her mom had been downstairs when it happened and had just heard the crash. It was right above her bed, so if she’d been up there it could have been really bad. At this point I needed to ask her how this happened … HOW THE HELL DID THIS WHOLE HOUSE END UP LIKE THIS???

Horrifying estate sale scene

The woman was very sweet. She said that she’d tried many times to help her mom take care of the place, but she refused help, and only after she had a stroke would she accept any help from the family.

She then showed me the fun fur tub and said it had a fun fur cover, so you could use it as a bench. Why????

Furry bathtub

Truly a one of a kind sale. Neither Jenny or I bought anything here, but it seemed like a good sale to end the day on.

And in case you need something like a unicorn chaser after those pictures, here’s Korla in action!

17 Responses to Fun fur nightmare

1. mollye says:

Oh my gawd but this has got to be THE most bazarre sale I’ve ever seen. Who knew? Thanks for sharing the amazement and fun. Mollye

2. Stuart says:

THANK YOU for introducing me to Korla Pandit! [I knew I should have sat through Ed Wood–Mr. Pandit has a cameo.]

And in case you don’t know: http://www.korlapandit.com/

And please keep up your blog–it’s HIGHLY entertaining.

3. Danielle says:

I must say…a little creepy!

4. Mary says:

All weird, but entertaining. I find it strange that they just focus on Pandit’s face while he plays and never show his hands.

5. karl says:

Oh yeah, I got TWO signed Korla Pandit lp…but that sale was a pure purell sale!

yes. it’s rare that I am stoked for purell, but this sale did me in…

7. Debra says:

OMG – how did I live my life until now without knowing about Korla Pandit! Love,love, love your blog!

8. swankola says:

“Do I really need a 1 1/2′ x 2′ photo of Korla playing organ in my house?!?!”

The answer to this question is always yes (but only if it is signed)

um, yes. it was signed, but the vibe there was really odd and It just didn’t feel right. Also, my home is almost all windows, so I wouldn’t be able to hang it.
    but yes… maybe I should have…

10. Monica says:

Great story – I’d also never heard of Korla Pandit. It’s fun that you got to see the house, too. One time I went to a garage sale at a Lustron house and I commented to the lady about it and she gave me and my daughter a tour. The house was in excellent condition. The house had kind of 60’s decor which was her original furniture and she had a pet bird named Elvis.

My husband was also bummed I didn’t buy it. But honestly I would have thought about that house every time I looked at it and I think that would have just creeped me out too bad …

Oh my lord, I just wiki’d Korla Pandit. Along with falling ceilings, scenic wallpaper and the fur-shrouded bathtub, this has got to be one of your weirdest adventures EVER. Thanks for documenting it for the rest of us!

13. swankola says:

I have two Korla Pandit albums (the same one times 2) that I found at a church rummage sale – one on red vinyl, the other on regular vinyl. Both are signed (but not framed). I think Korla pretty much signed every record he ever sold.

14. The Roving Home says:

Forget Korla. You should have walked away with that picture of a randy Neptune with a mer-whore on his lap while the weird sea creatures just stare at them. Yeesh.

The Neptune / sea-fair item wasn’t for sale. Sea-fair is a pretty big deal in these neck of the woods.

16. Savina says:

Wow……WOW! The waterfall wallpaper, the organ, the framed organist…..this is marvelous! The Unicorn Chaser completed this oddball experience…

17. astrid says:

wow- that video. i can’t believe i even watched that!! totally CREEPY!!!!!!
    and what a house??? but your right, that view is amazing!
    perhaps i should start taking pictures of my yard sale/antique store ventures. i live in arkansas, and i now know that odd ball, weird people don’t reside only in the south!!!!!
    love you guys-