Amazing Sunday sale

Posted by Meghan in Sale Tales | 8 Comments

Both Jenny and I really don’t hit up sales on Sunday very often. If I am out driving and I see something good, I’ll stop. Most of the time it seems like it’s just a Saturday sale that had the “Sat.” crossed out on the sign with a Sharpie. These usually aren’t worth it — I mean, how much good stuff can a person have for a two day yard sale?

Anyway, last Sunday around 11:30 Karl called me saying very quietly into the phone, “I am at this really amazing sale that has tons of great vintage clothing. I think you should come over here.” Over here, being the other side of town. He had just stumbled upon the sale while meeting a friend for coffee. Get the address, start heading over.

Okay. Karl calls back about 10 minutes later. “A woman came and bought a ton of stuff, but I still think it’s worthy.” All I can say is, “Karl, you are there. Why aren’t you buying this stuff?” Keep driving.

This sale was UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE. First thing I see is a gray marbled 1950’s plastic purse for $20. WTF? She has tons of great stuff and she is cool.

Gray marbled plastic box purse

Here is the thing I don’t understand — she had this sale on Saturday and she still had amazing stuff. Karl had a huge pile going and all he could say was, “What happened here yesterday?”

I know this photo doesn’t really do it justice, but I spent $80.

Moving sale haul

• 2 ’50s blouses
  • ’50s beaded purse with grapes one it. She told me some crazy story about about how it was once Glenn Close’s purse.
  • 1 black ’40s rayon jacket
  • 2 pairs of nice jeans in my size
  • 1 Ella Moss skirt
  • 2 heavy beaded sweaters
  • The ’50s plastic box purse
  • Insane white I.Magnin mod lace dress
  • A couple of shirts
  • 4 books

Karl got some rock t-shirts, a couple western shirts, 25 CDs, a Swiss Army watch, a great vintage silk ladies’ evening coat from Saks Fifth Avenue, and a bunch of other stuff.

I still can’t believe how good that sale was.

8 Responses to Amazing Sunday sale

1. suzy says:

What the f–! 2nd sale day and a Sunday! Yard sale gods were good to you that day!! suzy

2. sharie says:

It must have been a really quiet saturday sale. Lovely blouses and the handbags are great

3. erin says:

You are a lady after my own heart. Amazing handbags!

4. Beth Leintz says:

I wish Karl had called ME! Great sale- I don’t think your purse is just plastic- i think it’s LUCITE- worth maybe >$100 on ebay!

I see what you are getting at, but really lucite is plastic. I don’t plan to sell it, but if I did it’s a Lewsid Jewel by Llewellyn. I guess once you state ’50 plastic it can be a few different types of plastic. Still shocking to find it at a sale…

6. Lucitebox says:

Just the handbags alone would have been worth it for me! As I’m sure you know, Llewellyn bags are quite popular with the collectors. I love that one.

Color me green with envy! Sounds like you had a good time and can you imagine what was there on Saturday?!

7. Angie says:

SCORE! I would have paid $80.00 for the bag alone…but that’s just how much I love 50’s lucite 🙂

8. Jodie says:

I hadn’t realized that in some parts of the country two day sales were uncommon! Here in Ohio, almost all sales last for two days, if not three! Generally they’re Fri-Sunday, or just Sat-Sunday. Reading your blog is giving me the yard saling itch! Around here, though, we have to wait until about May for things to get hopping after the long winter 🙁