Cat overload

Posted by Jenny in Um ... No Thanks | 7 Comments

I made a quick stop at a senior center’s annual rummage sale today. It has been pretty bad every time I’ve gone (over the past 5 or 6 years) so I’m not sure why I bothered, but there is something about junking that breeds unjustified optimism in spite of all evidence to the contrary, no?

Anyway, I found nothing I wanted. But I did get a little taste of what happens when your cat figurine collection gets way out of control.

Cat overload

Pretty insane, right? But that wasn’t all of it …

More cat overload

Most of them were small and relatively unobtrusive (except for the fact that there were like 4,000 of them), but I was so stunned by the shocking awfulness of this larger specimen that I had to take a picture of it.

Startled pooping cat

I would venture to say that the odds of more than a handful of these cats getting purchased are extremely low.

Maybe next year I will get smart and just skip this sale …

7 Responses to Cat overload

1. karla nathan says:

You just have to wonder about the people selling the stuff. Why did they give up the lifelong collection at this point? What clicked in their heads to make them realize it was crap and needed to go? Or did the owner die, clutching a beloved cat creature to the very end and their family was thrilled to finally get rid of it all?

2. swankola says:

Not as insane as someone having that many real cats. Easy formula: 1 cat = nice person, 2 cats = very nice person, 45 cats = kookoo crazy person.

3. Diane says:

You are so right. No matter how many times I see an ad for a certain sale that I have been to in past years and it was crap … I can’t help but try it again! I keep thinking, “Maybe this is the year I’ll find something interesting.” LOL.

Some of those cats are scary!

4. Mary T says:

Senior Center, you say? Probably some poor old soul who once expressed a love for cats, and then for years every well-meaning grandkid got her one. And then when she passed, the kids were all, “Get this crap out of here.”

5. Maria says:

it could have been worse. it could have been CLOWNS! scary, scary clowns.

6. catherine says:

holy freaking cats! yea, some poor soul made the infamous mistake of saying they liked ANYTHING at all…there’s always some relative who wants to take your hobby (or merely a passing fancy) and make it into YOUR PASSION for crying out loud. Around the in-laws I avoid making any “I like…” statements, otherwise watch out next Christmas!

7. I’ve always thought of garage sales as my favorite form of gambling–you just know on the next spin of the wheel you’ll hit the jackpot! And unlike a trip to Vegas, you very often do get something for your quarters. And, ummmm, I collect images of reading (it’s a librarian thing) so I might have gone for the cat and his newspaper!