Yard sale signs in the wild

Posted by Jenny in Hey Sellers | 7 Comments

Now that yard sale season is really swinging I thought I would take a moment to talk (once again) about signs. Signs are so important and they are so easy to do right! And apparently, so easy to do wrong. With this I give you three examples from last weekend.

1. The Good.

Colorful yard sale sign

This examples follows two of the golden principles of good signs: making it obvious that the sign is for a sale (as opposed to an open house, lost cat, or free dirt), and having a big ol’ honkin’ arrow. While they did not mention the location or time, this is OK since the sign was less than a block from the sale. (This assumes that they also took it down after the sale. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.) The fringe and colorful circles don’t provide any navigational or functional assistance, but they are cute and might just provide that extra bit of motivation for someone to turn the corner and check it out. Points for these sellers!

2. The Bad.

Not the most effective sale sign

We got to the address where an estate sale had been advertised, and saw nothing … the door was closed and there was no signs in sight. Or were there? We almost drove on by, until one of us noticed this pitiful file folder hanging on a telephone pole. This is just stupid.

3. The Ridiculous. (In A Good Way.)

Slashing prices!

These people had some fun with their sign (which tempted folks walking along a busy street to a sale down a narrow alleyway). While I’m pretty sure that “19 days only” and “financing” are technically false advertising, we were completely entertained. And while balloons were present (generally indicating a lame sale), they were not just any old balloons.

Buy Some Junk

We loved these sellers.

7 Responses to Yard sale signs in the wild

1. Diane says:

I couldn’t agree with you more! I absolutely hate the people that set up 50 signs to get you to a crappy sale and then never get around to taking them down!

Children with crayons or pencils should not be allowed to make the signs either. I see paper plates with arrows on them from time-to-time and they are usually spot on, but floppy paper/board signs that are too big and taped to a pole are surely going to come down in a good breeze. Holy cow .. I could go on and on!

Thanks for the photos .. I enjoy your blog a lot and have linked to it on mine.

Thanks!!
    D.

2. sharie says:

Hi There,
    I’m a fellow thrifter in the Uk and I love reading your blog. I’ve just been tagged and am looking for fresh victims… Naturally I thought of you 😉

1 What were you doing 10 years ago.
    2. 5 things on my to do list today
    3,Snacks I enjoy
    4. Things I would do if I were a millionaire
    5. Places I have lived
    6 tag 6 other people

3. swankola says:

Again with the balloons! Sounds likes it’s different where you are – here almost all garage sales – good, bad or indifferent – have ’em. To me they don’t connote the quality of a g’sale, they’re just a bright, colourful, easily spotted signpost. Perhaps you are globophobic (globophobia: “a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of balloons, despite the understanding by the phobic individual and reassurance by others that there is no danger; a strong fear of, dislike of, or aversion to balloons”) 😉

Swankola – I am certainly not globophobic (though I almost wish I were, just so I could use that word in casual conversations). Maybe it’s a regional thing, but around here the kind of folks who put up balloons to mark their sale are usually the kind of folks with crappy stuff.

Sharie – thanks for the tag! We are flattered, although we never actually end up doing these things. Kind of hard with two of us, for one thing. (And listing out “snacks I enjoy” could take up waaaaaay too much space … )

Diane – people who don’t take their signs down make me crazy. It’s so rude!

5. Andrew says:

Thank YOU for having such a great blog!

Can’t wait to see what bloodbaths await this season.

6. ana says:

Thanks for these tips…I took them seriously as I made my garage sale signs recently. Alas, it rained on sale day, so I’ll have to use them for our sale next weekend!

Love your blog!

7. I am a big fan of arrows placed every block or two if a sign has directed you off a main road. I’ve turned so many times and then just felt dropped, like I’m supposed to magically know where the people having the sale live.

I also get annoyed at people who write a novel on their sign. Just direct me to the sale and I’ll figure out what you’re selling on my own.

I’m having a yard sale next Saturday, too bad we are opposite coasts.

Love your blog!